Sweden's worst mass shooting in history

 February 5, 2025

The prime minister of Sweden termed the shooting at an adult education facility in Örebro on Tuesday the worst mass shooting in Swedish history, killing at least 10 people.

How the incident happened is still being investigated by Swedish police, as The Daily Mail reported.

A shooting was reported in Örebro, a city 160 km west of Stockholm, at 12:33 p.m. local time (6:33 a.m. ET) on Tuesday.The incident happened at Campus Risbergska, a school for unschooled individuals.

Such facilities are called Komvux in Sweden. Komvuxes offer vocational training, Swedish language instruction, and other courses for persons seeking jobs. These programs are vital to Sweden's refugees and migrants.

Footage of the Event

As the alarms went off and the red lights flashed, students hid under desks in cellphone videos.

“We heard bangs and loud screams. At first we didn’t understand what it was, but then we realized it could be gunfire,” Andreas Sundling, a 28-year-old student at the campus, told CNN affiliate Expressen.

His classmates, he said, took cover behind the doors and waited for the police to arrive and evacuate the classroom, which took about an hour.

“There was blood all over the corridor,” Sundling said.

Casualties

The assault left at least ten individuals dead and six more wounded, according to the police. The assailant also passed away.

Örebro regional officials provided an update on Wednesday stating that the local university hospital was treating six individuals.

All five patients were adults; three women and two men had gunshot wounds and had surgery. Officials have stated that the five individuals are currently in a "stable but serious" condition, after initially being believed to have injuries that could cause death.

Officials said that no one else required hospitalization during the night.

Attack Events

Many of the students had already departed the campus following Tuesday's national exam, according to teacher Lena Warenmark, who spoke to Swedish state broadcaster SVT.

An individual stormed into Mary Pegado's classroom and ordered her and her kids to evacuate, according to the 54-year-old educator.

“I think of my students,” Pegado told Reuters. “Many of them have fled from countries where things like this happen, and now they experience it here. It is horrible,” she said.

© 2025 - Patriot News Alerts