American abducted by Taliban and held hostage released

 March 22, 2025

This story was originally published by the WND News Center.

An American who was abducted by the extreme Islamists in the Taliban in Afghanistan two years ago, and has been a hostage ever since, has been released and is returning to the U.S.

George Glezmann is the third hostage to be released by the Taliban since January, according to a report at Just the News.

He was taken by the Taliban in 2022 while traveling through the Middle East as a tourist.

According to the State Department, his release was negotiated by U.S. and Qatari officials, and he's being accompanied back to the U.S. by Adam Boehler, who was appointed by President Donald Trump to free Americans held hostage around the world.

According to a report at Fox News, Glezmann left the Kabul, Afghanistan, airport late Wednesday local time en route to Doha.

The release came after Boehler met with officials from the Afghan foreign ministry, the report said.

It explained Glezmann was seized by the Taliban's "intelligence services" and Qatar was involved because it has diplomatic relations with Afghanistan while the United States does not.

Earlier this year, before he left office, Joe Biden struck a deal to give the Taliban a member in U.S. custody in exchange for American hostages Ryan Corbett and William Mckenty.

Marco Rubio, Trump's secretary of State, said, ""George Glezmann is free. George was wrongfully detained in Afghanistan for two and a half years, but now he's on his way to be reunited with his wife Aleksandra. Welcome home, George!"

© 2025 - Patriot News Alerts