WATCH: Christians by the hundreds being executed in Syria, reports say

 March 11, 2025

This story was originally published by the WND News Center.

More than 1,000 people, mostly minority Christians and Alawites, have been murdered across Syria in one of the deadliest periods since longtime President Bashar al-Assad, a member of the Alawite sect, was forced out of power just months ago, according to reports.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights and local reports have confirmed the massive death toll as war has erupted between forces of the current government power there now and pro-al Assad fighters.

report from Newsweek explains the Sunni Islamist Hay'at Tahrir al-Sham group, which has al-Qaida origins, attacked Syria and took down al-Assad.

Then late last week clashes between Syrian government forces, under the al-Sham group and pro-al Assad forces erupted in Jableh, leaving hundreds dead.

"The SOHR says the initial attacks started after government forces were working to detain a wanted person and were ambushed by al-Assad loyalists. The AP reported that pro-Assad gunmen took control of Qardaha, Assad's hometown," the report said.

The report cited Joshua Landis, of the Center for Middle East Studies at the University of Oklahoma, who said, "A total of 353 Alawite civilians lost their lives in #Syria yesterday, and dozens more were injured with varying degrees of severity."

"The Secretary-General strongly condemns all violence in Syria and calls on the parties to protect civilians and cease hostilities. The Secretary-General is alarmed by the risk of escalating tensions among communities in Syria at a time when reconciliation and peaceful political transition should be the priority," explained a statement from Stephane Dujarric, of the United Nations Secretary General.

The Washington Examiner reported the conflict included now Syrian President Abu Mohammad al Julani sending thousands of troops in to respond to a disturbance from "anti-government forces."

Israel strongly condemned the violence, with the statement from Defense Minister Israel Katz, "Now he's taken off the mask and exposed his true face: A jihadist terrorist of the al-Qaida school who is committing horrifying acts against a civilian population."

© 2025 - Patriot News Alerts